Moose meat stir fry is easy to make and is very healthy. Just like any regular stir fry dish, you can use just about any veggie that you like. I personally like to use wild roots, mushrooms and onions when available.
But I usually use a mixture of seasonal and wild veggies and greens. Moose has a delicious gamey flavor like that of elk. It’s leaner than elk, but has a similar taste. The best cuts are the tenderloin and steaks. When prepared and cooked properly, wild moose meat can be used just like beef.
Best ways to cook moose
I like to marinate the tenderloin in an acidic marinade for at least 24 hours to break down the meat. Put it on a hot grill and cook it to rare. Anything over rare and your moose tenderloin or steak will be very chewy. The larger cuts like moose roast need slower cooking times.
Moose roast is best slow cooked in a crockpot with worcestershire sauce, thyme, onions, garlic and parsnips or turnips. A moose roast is crazy good when braised in bbq sauce and used for sandwiches. We take the tougher cuts of moose and make into burger.
Grind your moose with pork fat and use the ground for burgers, tacos, soups, stews, chili and meatloaf. Throw the moose meat and the pork fat in the grinder at a ratio of 80% moose cuts and 20% pork fat. Moose meat also makes great sausage.
We absolutely love moose salami, breakfast sausage and even Italian sausage. I’ve canned cuts of moose meat and was in awe of how tender and tasty it was after eating. The canned moose makes a great stir fry.
Moose stir fry recipe
1 lb moose meat (tenderloin or steak)
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 bell pepper, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp grated ginger
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
1. Slice the moose meat into small and thin pieces
2. Add enough oil to cover the bottom of a heavy skillet or wok and heat.
3. Add the moose meat to the pan and saute for a couple of minutes
4. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 more minute
5. Remove the moose, garlic and ginger from the pan
6. Clean the pan or use another and coat with vegetable oil
7. Add the onions and peppers and saute on high for 2-3 minutes
8. Add the zucchini and cook for 1 minute before adding the mushrooms
9. Add the moose meat to the pan and turn the heat down to a simmer
10. Mix the chicken stock, soy sauce and cornstarch together in a small bowl and pour into the pan
11. Simmer for 1 minute and turn off heat
Serve with white rice or Thai rice noodles. It’s also great with angel hair pasta or thin spaghetti. This moose stir fry is very versatile. You can use broccoli, snow peas, carrots or whatever you like.